Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Connecting people to life

Many of us have one or more that we connect with regularly. Lately I have been privileged to be connected to a group of Moms, wives, and families of sons who are serving in Afghanistan with my son.

This is my third time I have gone through this. The first two tours I never knew that this web page existed.



One day almost 6 weeks ago now, I left a message on the Sky Soldiers 173rd web page soon after Christopher arrived in Afghanistan. I wanted to say hi and connect with him,(the only way I could), until I heard from him. Not knowing if or when he would ever get to read the message I wrote, I still left it anyways. It was a comfort to me. After I left a message I received an e-mail from one of the Mom's who read my message, she immediately wrote to me and told me that her son Steve and Christopher are best friends where he is stationed in Italy.



I met Steve when I went to Italy 2 years ago to say good-bye to Christopher when he left for Afghanistan the first time. I actually was in the airplane with him and 6 others when I skydived with all of them. They are real characters when they get together. It's constant laughter, jokes, and just being silly boys.



Mary introduced herself to me in that e-mail, we have been connected ever since. I have made a new friend. Mary and I hit it off right away. Mary leads the A Co. group, which is where Christopher was the first time he was in Afghanistan. He is now in B Co., but she still has made me feel so welcome and asked that I join her group. She writes and gives information, but mostly just makes all of us feel so good.

We have so much in common, but besides that she is someone who is very loving, kind, warm, and has been so very helpful to me.

Not everyone can relate to having a son at war, so most of the time I keep those comments to myself. Its' nice to be able to call, or e-mail each other, we can talk about what is happening with our sons at war, share new pictures that we have received from them, phone calls, or e-mails as well.

She has given me information I knew nothing about, things that have totally changed my perspective, allowed me to find the FRG web site which is stricly for the families only. I have met so many wonderful people and have actually connected with 2 of the parents who are in Christopher's squad. I got so excited about that because I wanted so badly to connect and meet the families who are in Christopher's squad, making sure they are doing OK, making them feel welcome, encouraging and supporting them as I know exactly how they are feeling. Now I am able to do that. 4 of the 6 families, this is their first time living with a son at war.



That's what life is all about, meeting, and connecting people to life. I am doing this journey with other Moms, wives, and families these next 13 months. It has been a real wonderful experience I will never forget it.

Friendships being started, relationships being built. Isn't that what Jesus wants us all to do?

Being there for each other, lifting each other up, praying for one another. We all come from different backgrounds, that doesn't matter, all that matters is that we help each other, be there for one another. That is what I am doing and will continue to do.



I am thankful to Mary for connecting with me. Thanks Mary! God brought us together, for that I am grateful.

No comments: